Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Bhatratnatyam Boogie

I took my first classical Indian dance lesson on Monday, and it was really cool! And really hard! On Facebook there were approximately 30 people interested in taking the classes. So, of course, when I got there there was 1 person. Me! But I remained fearless, or at the very least, jovial. At the beginning and end of every session the group performs a prayer with movement that shows their respect for the floor and the space that they're working in, and it reminded me of theatre classes I've taken where we talked about monks who clean the floor and pray before and after they meditate and work in a space to show respect for it. Centering and mindful - I like it.

I have a ton of dance experience and none of it came in handy. I've got rhythm and I'm a little limber, but beyond that ballet wasn't a big assistant to me. There is lifting of the foot that you have all your weight held on, and holy sacred cow, is the tempo fast! The hands are really beautiful and watching the girls do them was so cool. My brain has a hard time making them happen as fast as they need to. I think I did better with the feet.

I'm looking forward to going back next week and learning more. The very patient and encouraging ladies who were teaching me said that this week was just a tough week for scheduling and that there would be more people next time. They were so sweet, and they never stopped smiling at me or telling me that I was moving at a good speed, even when I got frustrated. So, I am looking forward to next week when I have an hour of experience on the new newbies!

My thighs are killing me in a way that lets me know I'm getting hotter. Perhaps this will become a regular activity for me and my workout...although I'm certain I won't be asked to join the troupe anytime soon. So far I give it two big, and super respectful, thumbs up. It is awesome, and it is HARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment